Sunday 10 May 2009

Barrichello thought Spanish F1 victory was his

Rubens Barrichello admitted that he thought he had Spanish Grand Prix victory wrapped up until losing pace during his third stint.
The Brazilian had charged into the lead from third on the grid at the start, and then opened up a huge lead when his team-mate Jenson Button was switched from a three to a two-stop strategy at the first stops.
But Barrichello could not maintain his pace in the second half of the grand prix and had to settle for second behind his team-mate again.
"I was running a tiny bit quicker than Jenson to begin with," he said."Then I heard that they'd changed Jenson's strategy, and I had to keep on pushing."My third set of tyres was not good.
"I don't know if something was broken on the car - I couldn't keep my pace up as well on the last set either so I guess it wasn't the tyre, it has to be something to do with the car."And from there on it was a struggle, just a big, big struggle to keep the car on the track, and a relief to come second."
Despite his personal disappointment, Barrichello praised the Brawn team for managing to stay on top even as its larger rivals hurled upgrades at their cars for this race."It's still first and second back in Europe," he said."I'm disappointed that I didn't win the race because I thought I had it in the bag today, but it's still a good effort from the whole team."

No comments: