Tuesday 29 September 2009

Interview with Bob Bell - new Renault F1 team boss

Bob, you have stepped up to become Team Principal in difficult circumstances – how are you approaching this role?
I am taking a very pragmatic and realistic approach to it. The team needed somebody to step in and see through the rest of the season. I have agreed to do that and I am very happy to do it. My motivation, as ever, is to see that the team continues and continues successfully – and I am very proud that I have been asked to do it and I relish the challenge.

Do you feel that the team has put the events from the past weeks behind it?
Definitely. From the outside, I think temporarily the team is perhaps not going to look in the greatest of light. But I saw this weekend that the team has put itself out of this unfortunate situation and worked, as ever, hard all weekend. We will demonstrate what it does on the track, and in the factories, and show people once again that we deserve the high reputation that we have always held.

How tough have the past few weeks been on all the people back at the factories in Enstone and Viry?
I think for all of us, myself included, were genuinely concerned that we could potentially lose our jobs over this. There were very deep and heartfelt feelings in the factory of sadness that we would find ourselves in the situation in the first place and then, of course, the potential consequence that we could have gone out of business.

How much of a shock was it to lose the backing of title partner ING?
To some extent it wasn't unexpected as they were due to finish with us at the end of the year anyway. They chose for their own reasons to terminate earlier than that, which was a disappointment but we will move on from it.

No comments: