Friday 14 August 2009

Todt – I would be impartial president

Jean Todt has insisted his long-time Ferrari links will not prevent him having the ability to act as an impartial FIA president if he wins the right to succeed Max Mosley in October’s election.

The Frenchman, as incumbent Mosley’s preferred successor, will go up against former world rally champion Ari Vatanen in the October 23 vote, with both candidates having ramped up their campaigns in recent weeks.

And with the election race continuing to hot up, Todt’s campaign team issued an interview with the former Ferrari team boss and CEO on Friday in which he further outlined his plans should he be elected to the office and addressed some of the concerns some have raised about his candidacy.

While the Formula One Teams’ Association had previously indicated it would prefer a new president that had no past or existing ties to an F1 team, Todt – who guided Ferrari to an avalanche of world titles during his 13-years as team principal – has dismissed the suggestion his former roles at the Scuderia would mean he couldn’t carry out his F1 duties in a neutral way.

Instead Todt, who also headed up Peugeot Sport’s World Rally and sportscar operations prior to joining Ferrari in 1993, says that should he become FIA president he will act in the same professional and committed manner as he did for his previous employers and strive to ensure the governing body’s continued independence.

“Initially some people suggested that I would be Ferrari’s choice for the presidency, then the media was that told that Ferrari didn’t want me, and the Scuderia responded by saying that they were in fact neutral,” Todt said in the Q&A.


“Of course, I completely agree with them. They should be neutral as I will be to all the teams if I am elected President.

“This is a question of commitment and professionalism.

“The success I have enjoyed, with every team that I have ever worked with, has been founded upon professionalism and a total commitment to that team’s goals.

“My approach to the FIA is no different.

“I would not contemplate running for election as President if I could not focus all my professionalism, energy and commitment upon achieving the goals which are in the best interests of the FIA. Acting as the guardian of the FIA’s independence is central to this.”

The Frenchman also responded to criticism about Mosley’s endorsement of his candidacy, after the current FIA president described Todt as the “ideal” person to follow him in a letter to the governing body’s members clubs in which he confirmed his decision to step down at the end of his existing term.

Todt admits he was flattered by Mosley’s recommendation, but stressed the ultimate decision was in the hands of the FIA’s worldwide membership – adding that he feels he can offer something new to the governing body.

“Like everyone in the FIA Max should be entitled to his opinion,” he said.

“I’m very honoured by his comments but Max knows, as I do, that the full membership and only the full membership of the FIA will decide who the next President of the FIA will be.

“Max has made a fantastic contribution during his years as President and if elected I will respect his legacy but I will also bring some crucial changes to the FIA.

“I am more of a manager than a politician, and my defining characteristic is to encourage and ensure teamwork.

“That is what I have tried to do throughout my career and it has been the reason for the success that I have achieved in a number of motor sport disciplines.

“The FIA is a highly complex organisation and I think my management experience and skills will offer something new and unique to the FIA’s membership.”

While rival Vatanen has attended both the recent British and German grands prix since announcing his intention to run for the presidency to speak to the major F1 figures in the paddock, Todt has yet to attend a race since confirming his decision to stand.

Todt says he has deliberately decided to spend the early weeks of his campaign putting his team and policies in place, but reveals he will soon meet with the Grand Prix Drivers’ Association at the body’s request.

“The GPDA have invited me to meet with them and I am very pleased to accept their invitation,” he added.

“I look forward to the opportunity to talk with them when I visit a forthcoming Grand Prix.

“Teamwork has been a fundamental characteristic of my achievements in motor sport, it characterises my approach to the current election campaign, and, if successful, it will also characterise my Presidency of the FIA.

“I’m confident that all drivers, from F1 as well as other motor sport disciplines, will cooperate in this spirit of teamwork and build on the outstanding contributions many of them have already made to the work of the FIA, FIA Institute and FIA Foundation, whether on the track or on the road.”

No comments: