Friday 23 October 2009

Loeb admits another F1 chance unlikely

World Rally legend Sebastien Loeb concedes his chances of competing in a Formula 1 race are probably now over for good after he failed in his bid to get a superlicence in time for next week’s Abu Dhabi finale.

The five-time WRC champion had been heavily linked to a one-off drive with Red Bull junior team Toro Rosso at the inaugural race at the brand new Yas Marina circuit.

And while no deal for Loeb to race had been confirmed, the Frenchman did this week apply to the FIA for a superlicence that is mandatory for any drivers competing in F1 – but this was rejected as the 35-year-old does not meet the necessary requirements.

Loeb, who is vying for a sixth successive WRC title at Rally GB this weekend, says the timing of his hoped-for Abu Dhabi appearance would have been ideal and now admits another opportunity is unlikely to arise again.

“I told myself that I will probably only have one opportunity like this in my life,” he told his official website.

“That was why I accepted. There, it is gone. I did not get the super licence this time, I do not see how I could get it without preparation and the necessary tests in F1.


“All the more since the two championships would have been finished.

“Button won his world title last weekend, and the WRC title is at stake this weekend. So, my participation would not have got in the way of either championship. Finding an opportunity like that again seems very unlikely.

“All this put together, I do not think this opportunity will present itself again.”

Although Loeb had hoped to compete in an F1 event having tested for Red Bull Racing last year, he insists he isn’t overly disappointed his Abu Dhabi ambitions have been dashed.

“I take things as they come,” he said.

“Anyway, there are no regrets because there was no ambition.

“The only regret I have is that I'd have had fun doing it. It was a fun project. But hey, that's how it is! At least now I know. There are no more questions. “

The FIA grants F1 superlicences to drivers who are the reigning champion in one of the junior single-seater categories, or consistently performed strongly in them, while drivers can also gained one in if they have completed significant F1 testing mileage.

Rally star Loeb admits he didn’t meet any of the requirements so wasn’t surprised to have had his application rejected.

“The regulations for getting it are very precise,” he said.

“I do not meet any of the conditions stipulated in the regulations.

“So it's logical that I failed to obtain such a license. It's like that, it is the rule, it is the decision of the FIA. There's no crying foul.”

However, while the Frenchman has written off his chances of ever racing in F1, he admits he would welcome the opportunity to test again should he receive an offer.

“If my [Citroen] boss lets me go, yes! It's always a pleasure to drive an F1 car,” Loeb added.

“If I have another opportunity to get back into a single-seater car, I will not pass it up.”

No comments: