Friday 30 October 2009

Trulli, Sutil spat continues in Abu Dhabi

Jarno Trulli and Adrian Sutil reopened their war of words over who was to blame for their opening-lap collision in the Brazilian Grand Prix in an extraordinary appearance alongside each other in Thursday’s FIA press conference in Abu Dhabi.

The pair crashed out of the Interlagos race two weeks ago while battling over fourth position, Trulli losing control of his Toyota as he attempted to pass his Force India rival on the kerb on the outside of turn five and slamming into the side of Sutil’s car.

Then after clambering out of their damaged cars after the incident, a clearly incensed Trulli ran over to Sutil and started gesticulating furiously at the German driver – actions which later resulted in him being fined $10,000 by race stewards.

Almost two weeks on from their acrimonious tangle, the pair appeared alongside each other in the first ever press conference at the new Yas Marina Circuit and a question asking whether they had now settled their differences triggered an amazing public resumption of hostilities.

Trulli, clearly still fuming about the incident he claims cost him a shot at a podium finish, said he expected the crash to be discussed in Friday’s driver briefing, a view that prompted Sutil to accuse the veteran Italian of “freaking out”.

"Obviously it was very disappointing to end the race like that, especially on the first lap,” Trulli said.

"I had every reason to be extremely furious. I've got all the evidence to show that I was there and was next to him, and tomorrow we are going to discuss it."


Sutil, however, felt the incident was cut and dried, adding: "I think there's nothing to discuss, it was quite an obvious incident.

"In the end it was very disappointing for myself I think even more because I was the one who was just driving, and he lost control of his car and crashed into my back.

"It was not my problem, it's his problem. I don't know why he's freaking out like that to be honest."

In an attempt to further his argument, Trulli then produced photographs of the incident which he claims proved he had managed to get his Toyota fully alongside Sutil’s car.

However, Sutil immediately fired back, saying his rival should clearly have backed out of the move while claiming Trulli had also made the same mistake when they crashed earlier in the season in Spain.

“I can show you some pictures, I don't know if you're blind, but I can clearly show you my front wing is next to your front wing,” Trulli said.

Sutil replied: "But you're trying to overtake me on the outside of the kerbing. There was not a problem. You were just not going off the power.

"The same happened in Barcelona where you lost control again and crashed again into a Force India car.

"You have to sometimes also respect the limits of the car. If there’s nowhere to go, you have to back off – that's how the racing is. I don't know how long you need to learn this."

Trulli was in no mood to accept this version of events, saying: "In Barcelona I spun and he hit me because he cut the kerb, cut the circuit completely, and he didn't slow down."

To which Sutil retorted: "I didn't hit you. You hit me. I don't know what is your problem. I don't understand really, sorry."

After watching the pair trade verbal blows for several minutes, Fernando Alonso was then asked for his view of the incident having run several cars behind the battling pair on the opening lap at Interlagos before being collected by the spinning Sutil.

The Renault driver was keen not to be drawn into the spat, simply saying the accident would be discussed in Friday’s driver meeting: “I saw everything more or less...but as Jarno said tomorrow in the drivers' briefing we will discuss it, deeply.”

No comments: