Sunday 1 November 2009

Kovalainen gets gearbox change penalty

Heikki Kovalainen will lose five places on the grid of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix after needing a gearbox change after qualifying.

The McLaren driver, quickest in yesterday's practice, stopped on track with a mechanical problem during the second segment of qualifying and was unable to complete more than a flying run.

As a result, he qualified down in 13th.

However, the team needed to replace Kovalainen's gearbox, meaning the Finn will get a five-place grid penalty.

"What a disappointing outcome to my qualifying," he said. "I got stuck in second gear during Q2 and that was it. I already had minor problems with the gearbox yesterday when it jumped out of gear, so it's frustrating when you have a car you can easily take into Q3.

"But I'm looking at the positives: the balance of my car has been good throughout the entire weekend, and it's been great to drive on this fantastic circuit. You can absolutely guarantee I'll be giving it my all in the race tomorrow and I'll be fighting from the first lap to the very last."

No comments: