Friday 4 December 2009

Ricciardo thrilled to end test on top

Daniel Ricciardo was grinning from ear to ear after setting easily the fastest time of the three-day young driver test at Jerez.

The 20-year-old Australian was the only driver at the test to enjoy three full days of running, having sole use of Red Bull’s RB5 – and took full advantage to end the session with a flourish.

Ricciardo’s lap time of 1m17.418s was a massive 1.3s faster than anyone else managed during the three days, and was the quickest time recorded at Jerez this year.

“These last three days have been an incredible experience for me,” he said.

“I would like to thank Red Bull for giving me this great opportunity, which has made me even more determined to make it into Formula 1 one day.

“I know it was just a test, but seeing my name on the top of today’s timesheet was really something special.”

Ricciardo, the current British Formula 3 champion, will contest the Formula Renault 3.5 series next year and is hoping to secure a reserve driver position at RBR.

No comments: